Text Entry Rate of Access Interfaces: A Systematic Review
The purpose of this systematic review was to search the available research involving AT control interfaces and conduct a quantitative synthesis of text entry rates associated with common interfaces. We have extended this work to examine the effect of user diagnosis, body site, and experience with the access interface.
Our latest project has been to analyze the methods used in these studies and make recommendations for the design, conduct, and reporting of research on alternative access interfaces.
AT-node web application
We have built a web application to provide search access to all of the data. AT-node provides a graphical summary of the retrieved data, a full table of all data, and citations/abstracts for every retrieved study. Try it at kpronline.com/atnode. Completely free.
More details on AT-node design and development:
- Data from this work is publicly available in 3 spreadsheets:
- To put the study data into a relational database, we designed this database schema.
- You can view an early Marvel prototype. We used this to explore the user interface and visual design before implementing real functionality.
- We showed an early functioning version at a 2017 RESNA conference workshop, with these results.
Publications from this work
- Koester HH, Arthanat S. (2018). Recommendations for the design, conduct, and reporting of research on text entry with alternative access interfaces. Paper to be presented at RESNA 2018 Annual Conference, Arlington VA.
- Koester HH, Arthanat S. (2018). Design and development of AT-node: A searchable database of text entry rates for computer users with disabilities. Paper to be presented at RESNA 2018 Annual Conference, Arlington VA.
- Koester HH, Arthanat S. (2017). Effect of diagnosis, body site, and experience on text entry rate of individuals with physical disabilities: A systematic review. Disability & Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, ePub ahead of print.
- Koester HH, Arthanat S. (2017). Text Entry Rate of Access Interfaces Used by People with Physical Disabilities: A Systematic Review. Assistive Technology, ePub ahead of print.
- Koester HH, Arthanat S. (2017). Text Entry Rate of Access Interfaces Used by People with Physical Impairments. Proceedings of RESNA 2017 Conference, Arlington, VA.
- Koester HH, Arthanat S. (2016). Systematic Review of Text Entry Methods for People with Physical Impairments. Paper published in Proceedings of RESNA/NCART 2016 Conference, Arlington, VA.
We do not currently have specific funding for this project.